Kayalpattinam is famous for many things one among them is their traditional food. Kanji is made during the month of Ramadan,as Ramadan is fast approaching i tried my hands on this dish.
Basmati rice-2 cups
Moong Dal-1 cup
Chicken boneless-1/2 lbs or Beef stew-1/2 lbs
Red chili powder-as per taste
Turmeric powder-1/2 tsp
Coconut milk-1/2 can
Cinnamon,Cardamon(elachi) & Clove-few
Cilantro for garnish
1) In a pressure cooker put oil when the oil is hot add curry leaves,onions and saute until the onions becomes little brownish color,then add Ginger garlic paste saute until the smell goes off.
2) Now add the veggies and cook for few minutes.
3) Add the chicken,red chili powder,yogurt,coconut milk & SALT.Pressure cook for 3 whistles.When the pressure is gone keep this separately.
4) In the same pressure cooker,cook basmati rice & moong dal with some water. Pressure cook for 4 whistles.
5) Now blend the cooked moong dal and basmati rice,constantly adding water.
6) Remove the chicken piece & blend the veggies separately and add it to the blended ingredients.
7) Smash the chicken pieces with hand and add to the blended ingredients.
8)Keep it in slow fire when the Kanji is boiling add cilantro and mint.
9) Now tamper with cinnamon,cardamon,clove,curry leaves & onion.
10) Add the tampering into hot Kanji.